Don’t you love it when you ask God, “Show me areas in my life where I need to give up my selfish desires and ask You to take control,” and then He brings up the last thing you expected? Something you thought you had mastered? Yep! Me too! [grin]
When I prayed those words recently, I thought He would say, “Remember when you got really mad at ___? Let’s work on anger control.” Or, “Remember when you were really obstinate and your stupid decision really hurt ___? Let’s review submission.” But no, He brought up something I thought I had down really well. Building Up My Brothers. [I was like, 'no way!']
Building Up My Brothers. What does that mean? And what are some practical applications for life regarding this topic? Obviously, I am not expert at this and I am growing all the time in this area. So here’s what I thought I would do; share some of my insights.
♥ How can we bless our brothers?
- My #1 go-to . . . Coffee! My brother Joshua really enjoys it when we get up and have a cup of coffee together in the morning. We might talk about the latest mission news, the struggles of yesterday, the plans for today, a funny joke, our brothers and sisters in chains, our favorite memory verses, our devotions, etc.
- Making them lunch. My two older brothers are often in and out of the house, one going to college and the other to work. Making them a couple sandwiches or a special dessert to tuck into their bags, really makes them feel appreciated. Also, making extra bread the day before so that they can have as many sandwiches as they want [a big plus:)] is another way of saying, “I love you!”
- Tackling small sewing projects. Brothers love it when they can bring a torn shirt to their sister and she says, “That’s not a problem! I can fix it this week.” I know the rare occasions when I have done this, they have left me little notes saying Thank You!
- Helping out with farm chores. My brothers are so appreciative when I take the extra time after my chores to help them with theirs!
- Special cooking. My sister Sophia is an awesome example of this! She loves blessing the men in our house by baking bread, cookies, cakes, bars, etc. I think they enjoy being her guinea pig :)
- Doing laundry for them. In our house we divided everyone into laundry teams based on their bedroom buddies. Each team then has a day to complete the laundry for that room. When one of my brothers happens to be gone on his day and we pitch in and do his laundry for him, he is very appreciate!
- When the men work outside in the summer, we girls love mixing up some iced tea or lemonade and taking them out a cool drink. They are delighted each time!
- Leaving little notes around the house. Whether they contain an encouraging word or a Scripture, everyone loves receiving little notes, don’t they?
- Buying them a small treat. I don’t do this very often because everyone’s wallet has a limit [grin], but when I do pick them up a bar of chocolate or a pack of gum, their eyes light up. Personally, I like to think that the gift has nothing to do with it, only the thoughtfulness, but who knows . . . :)
These are only a couple of ways in which you can bless your brothers! There are so many more. Encourage them in their manliness. Strengthen them as brothers in Christ. Support them as they go through highschool, college, work, etc.
What we do today will affect tomorrow. And in the same way, what we don’t do today will affect tomorrow.
Here are three of the men building a calf shelter. Micah was thrilled that I was taking pictures of him working. He said working is what he does best, so I just smiled and thought, “Yup, he’s a man in the process!”
Posted by Olivia